Members of the community came together on May 2, 2015 to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the Steveston Post Office.
Festivities ran from 10am – 1pm and included live entertainment, prizes and give-aways, free refreshments and postal exhibits.
Municipal, Provincial and Federal dignitaries were present on the day and we were honoured for them to join us. A special thank you to: Richmond Mayor Malcolm Brodie; Richmond City Councillors Harold Steves, Bill McNulty, Carol Day, Linda McPhail and Chak Au; MP Kerry-Lynne D. Findlay; MP Alice Wong; MLA John Yap and MLA Linda Reid.
To mark the event, a Design a Stamp competition took place. Participants from as young as 4 years put their creative juices to work and produced some amazing submissions. Special thanks to Steveston London Principal, Jim Allison and art teacher, Sid Akselrod; Byng Elementary Principal, Al Zarchikoff and Homma Elementary Principal, Susan Roy for encouraging staff and students to take part.
Congratulations to the winners, Kristine Wau, Andrew Phipps and Bob Baziuk and to the finalists, Ruby Kump, Aidyn Cartner, Daisy Mavis, Emily Chen, Celine Tsa and Meghan Lok.
Graciously supported by: Canada Post, RBC Royal Bank, Richmond News, Steveston Historical Society, Tourism Richmond and the City of Richmond
Special thanks to Price Mart and the Steveston Coffee Company for providing the birthday cake, cupcakes and coffee.
Video from the 125th Anniversary Celebrations (credit Matthew Van Deventer):
Steveston – Early Postal History:
(courtesy of the British Columbia Postal History Research Group)
Following the relocation of the Lulu Island Post Office on the Government dock at the end of Number 2 Road, William Herbert Steves saw the need for a new Post Office to serve the rapidly growing Steveston area. The new office, to be named STEVESTON after Manoah Steves, father of the first Postmaster William Herbert Steves. The office was approved under authorization notice 162-13, dated March 1890, and was established on May 1, 1890 although the proof strike is dated ‘MY 2 90′ indicating that the office did not open until mid may.
The post office was probably located in the Steves seed store on 2nd Avenue between Bayview and Moncton. Mail was received tri-weekly from New Westminster by mail steamer.
Mr. Steves’ father, Manoah Steves had been born in New Brunswick and came to Richmond in 1877 after having spent a short time in Maryland. He purchased land on the west end of Lulu Island where he established a seed business. He was joined the next year by his family. The Steveston townsite was named after Manoah Steves.
W.H. Steves remained postmaster for four years and then G. Blake took over for one year. It then moved to Hunt’s store on Moncton Street and later to the Hepworth Building on the SE corner of Moncton Street at 2nd Avenue. Following the completion of the tram service to Vancouver, mail service improved and by 1947 mail was received twice daily on the B.C. Electric Railway 8am and 4pm trams.